Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for six (6) hours prior to the appointment. If your procedure is in the afternoon you may have a light breakfast excluding dairy products.
No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
If you are on blood pressure medication, take it the morning of your surgery with a sip of water if directed by your doctor at the consultation.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive you home. We will review post operative instructions with your designated driver.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbow,an untucked shirt/blouse with buttons that open in the front, and low-heeled shoes.
- For your comfort, do not wear contact lenses and leave valuables, jewelry, etc. at home.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive make-up, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office prior to your day of surgery or at the window when you check in. For your safety, you must be clear of cold symptoms at least two weeks prior to your surgery.
If you take routine oral medications, please check with one of the doctor’s assistants prior to your surgical date for instructions.
If you have any questions regarding your prescriptions, please bring them to your appointed surgery. Please contact the office if you experience any side effects from the prescribed medications.
- It maybe necessary to have a medical clearance from your primary doctor prior to your surgery.