ANTHONY G. SCLAR, DMD
Dr. Anthony G. Sclar is widely recognized—both by his patients and his peers—as being one of the world’s leading practitioners of oral surgery and implant dentistry. Throughout his career, Dr. Sclar has gained extensive experience in reconstructive and esthetic dental implant surgery, periodontal plastic surgery and corrective and cosmetic jaw, chin and cheek bone procedures. Since 1989 he has performed more than 15,000 successful dental implant procedures at his private practice in Miami, Florida. His patients originate from South Florida and the Continental U.S., South and Central America, and the Caribbean. They seek out Dr. Sclar not only for his unsurpassed surgical skills for which he gained the nickname “Manos de Seda” (“hands of silk”) but also for his caring and compassionate approach to treatment.
A much sought-after educator and lecturer, Dr. Sclar is the author of numerous publications including the hallmark multi-language textbook, Soft Tissue and Esthetic Considerations in Implant Therapy, (Quintessence 2003). He has made presentations to top dental professionals throughout the USA, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Switzerland, the UK, Australia, Africa, Taiwan, and Canada.
An accomplished professional, Dr. Sclar is an Adjunct Professor and Director of Clinical Research and Dental Implant Surgery in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Nova Southeastern University College of Dentistry and is an active contributor to numerous global organizations involved in furthering research and education in the field of implant dentistry.
An innovator, Dr. Sclar developed numerous surgical procedures that led to advancements in esthetic and reconstructive implant dentistry resulting in improved outcomes, greater predictability and less discomfort and down time for patients undergoing dental implant and oral surgery procedures.
General oral surgery and anesthesia services for adults and children
Reconstructive, esthetic and minimally invasive implant dentistry
All-on-4 Smile Lift Immediate Function Dental Implant Procedure
“Gum Lift” Surgery to Lengthen Short Teeth and for Smile Enhancement
“Gummy Smile” Correction with Lip re-positioning surgery
Reconstructive and regenerative periodontal surgery
Cosmetic Jaw, Chin and Cheek bone enhancement procedures
Gum and Bone Grafting Procedures for Dental Implants
Management of patients suffering from dental implant complications
Multidisciplinary treatment of complex implant dentistry cases
Graduate Dental Education
Postgraduate Education and Training
- Internship in Hospital Dentistry; University of Miami Jackson Memorial Hospital
- Fellowship in Medical Anesthesiology; University of Miami Jackson Memorial Hospital – Veterans Hospital of Miami
- Internship in General Surgery; Central Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Residency in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery; University of Miami Jackson Memorial Hospital
Specialty Board Certification
- Diplomat American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (ABOMS is a specialty board recognized by the American Dental Association)
- Adjunct professor and Director of Clinical Research and Dental Implant Surgery, department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
- Editorial Board Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dental Implant Section 2005-2011
- Parameters of Care Committee Dental and CranioMaxillofacial Implant Surgery; American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Scientific Journal Reviewer: Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, International Journal of Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry,
- Featured Speaker: American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS), Academy of Osseointegration (AO), European Academy of Osseointegration (EAO), International Symposium of Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry (ISPRD), American Academy of Implant Dentistry (AAID), International College of Oral Implantologists (ICOI), American College of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (ACOMS), ITI and US ITI annual scientific symposiums
- Fellow, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Fellow, International Team for Implantology (ITI); an independent academic organization dedicated to spreading knowledge and promoting evidence-based methodologies related to implant dentistry.
- Participant ITI Consensus Conference 2008 Evidence-based Guidelines for Dental Implant Therapy, August 26-28, Stuttgart Germany. Dr Sclar was one of 98 experts from 27 countries that contributed to publishing guidelines for the practice of implant dentistry in the International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants in 2009
- Participant Academy of Osseointegration State of the Science in Implant Dentistry Consensus Conference held on August 3-6, 2006, in Oak Brook, Illinois. Dr Sclar was one of 100 doctors worldwide chosen to contribute their expertise at this conference. Proceedings subsequently published in the International Journal of Oral and maxillofacial Implants in 2007
- Founder Integrated Seminars; host to highly acclaimed annual ISTM Comprehensive Implant Surgery Conference attended by doctors from all over the world for the past 12 years
- Founder Sclar Center for Empowered Dental Implant Learning, Miami, Florida which provides a structured implant surgery curriculum for doctors seeking to offer their patients implant procedures that are scientifically and clinically sound.
- Soft Tissue and Esthetic Considerations in Implant Therapy, Quintessence publishing, 2003 (published in 7 languages)
- Co- editor: Soft Tissue Esthetic Procedures for Teeth and Implants, Oral and maxillofacial Surgery Clinics Atlas, (WB Saunders 1999)
Academic and Clinical Textbook Chapters
- Soft Tissue Management in Implant Therapy, in Peterson’s Principles of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, second edition 2004
- Late Flapless Placement of an Implant in a Maxillary Left Central Incisor Site, in ITI Treatment Guide Vol. 3, Implants in Extraction Sockets, Chapter 4, CLINICAL Case Presentations Based on Different Implant Placement Protocols, Quintessence publishing, 2008
- Soft Tissue Management in Implant Therapy, in Peterson’s Principles of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Third edition 2011
- Management of an Esthetic Implant Complication, in Interdisciplinary Treatment Planning Volume II, Comprehensive Case Studies, Quintessence 2011
- Adjunctive Procedures, in Surgical Assistants Surgical Skills Manual I and II, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 2011
Scientific Journal Publications
- Dr Sclar has published over 70 articles and abstracts in peer reviewed scientific journals including: Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, International Journal of Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry, Implantology, Implant Realities, Journal of Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology and Journal of Craniomandibular Practice.